Saturday, January 3, 2015

Poppy Seed Bars


From time to time, I have an incredible cravings for poppy seed cakes. I can't explain it but I do think that a lot of you understand me. :-) German Poppy Seed Strudel lays on our table very often, so it was time to change that and I have searched for a recipe that I haven't tried out yet. These bars are a bit dry, but so effectively delicious...I just couldn't stop eating them! 

Ingredients for the cake

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup of melted butter
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of milled poppy seeds
  • 2 tbsp of flour
  • some grated orange peel (optional)

Method 
Divide egg yolks from the whites and mix the yolks with sugar and add all other ingredients gradually. The egg whites mix in the another bowl and slowly add to the poppy seed mixture. Pour the batter into the pan (20x30cm) covered with baking paper and put it into the oven on 400 F degrees for half an hour. When the cake is done ( the tooth pick comes out clean) take it out of the oven and cool it down. Make the chocolate glaze and cream it on the cold cake. Cut the cake in bars and serve.