Saturday, February 1, 2014

Whoopie Pie - Black Moon Cake



So many times I have eaten these sweet little cakes, in so many variations, but I never tried to make them myself. The time has come, and I gathered all my patience and ingredients to do it. There was always a question mark above my head - how on earth, everybody makes so equally sized cakes? The first pan full of cakes was just for laughs - all cakes different sizes :-) OK...I said, let's think. So, I took the muffin pan and the muffin papers and got the good sized little cakes.




Ingredients for the cake

  • 1/2 cup of butter (room temperature)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1-3/4 cups of flour
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • 1 cup of sour milk - I mixed 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1/2 cup of milk


Method
Mix all of the ingredients in one bowl (and here comes the part I haven't fully understand) and drop the mixture by teaspoons on the baking paper in the pan. Which I did, but not successfully. I took the muffin pan and muffin papers and look at this cakes - sweet little equal things :-). Oh, yes...bake them for 8 minutes on 375F, when you slightly touch the cake with your fingertip it should bounce back.


Ingredients for the cream filling

  • 1 1/2 cup of milk
  • 4 tbsp of flour
  • 2 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of white chocolate extract
  • 1/2 cup of butter (room temperature)
  • 1 cup of confectionery sugar



Method
Stir the flour and sugar together with the white chocolate extract and add some cold milk to make a smooth creamy liquid. The remained milk put in the bowl and heat it until it starts boiling so you can slowly add the creamy liquid and cook it until it stiffen up. Cool the cream down by stirring it occasionally in the cool place. Mix the butter with the confectionery sugar and add it to the cream.







I have toasted some walnuts and enriched the little cakes with something tasty. Then I got the idea to mill the walnuts and to stir them into the cream filling and it came out great. I left some plane cream and added some coconut flour in it to make a difference. I suppose that the variations are uncountable, just you have to be creative.






I remembered a long forgotten cakes Cossack hats of which this cakes are reminding me. You just have to put the cream on the sides of the Whoopie Pies, roll them in the coconut flour and to put a chocolate ganache on the top. And off course, you have to bake 1 flat cake in the pan and with plastic circle cut equal circles of the cake.






This is the cross-section of the Whoopie Pie with one walnut inside. Trust me, it's great when you come across a toasted walnut inside a creamy cake - it's a wonderful surprise!